ACM-W Europe (ACM-WE) is a standing committee of ACM Europe and will work to fulfill the ACM-W mission in Europe. Our vision is to
cultivate and inspire people about the opportunities in computer science and clear the pathways throughout Europe for women in computing.
Our main goals are to:
- Promote the image of computing
- Raise awareness of the importance of women being in the computing profession
- Make women aware of career options in computing
- Promote new ways of facing the challenges of the next generation of women in computing
- Establish partnerships with similar existing organizations in Europe for appropriate activities
- Increase participation of women in senior level positions of ACM and its conferences
- Provide a platform for sharing resources, ideas and experiences
- Work with the EU and the European Commission on programmes related to women in computing
Chair: Reyyan Ayfer, Bilkent University, Turkey | Author profile
Vice Chair: Bev Bachmayer, Intel, Germany | Author profile
- Ralitsa Angelova, Google, Zurich, Switzerland | Author profile
- Vicki Hanson, University of Dundee, Scotland / Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York, US | Author profile
- Natasa Milic-Frayling, Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK | Author profile
Co-chairs of 2015 womENcourage Celebration:
- Mashhuda Glencross, Loughborough University, UK | Author profile
- Wendy Hall, University of Southampton, UK, Chair, ACM Europe | Author profile
- Gabriele Kotsis, Johannes Kepler University of Linz, Austria | Author profile
- Pat Ryan, ACM Headquarters, New York, USA
- Valerie Barr, ACM-W Chair, Union College, New York, USA | Author profile
- Fabrizio Gagliardi, Past Chair, ACM Europe | Author profile
- Jane Hillston, University of Edinburgh, UK, Chair, Informatics Europe Women in Informatics Research and
Education Working Group | Author profile
Women in Computing News and Events
In Memoriam: Beryl Nelson
It is with great sadness that we inform you that our friend and colleague Beryl Nelson, passed away on 23 October 2015. Beryl was a great contributor to ACM-W Europe as one of the founding executive committee
members, and did considerable work to illuminate the situation around diversity in tech. Especially of note is the Tech Talk of her research The Data on Diversity: It's not just about being Fair.
Her family requests that you send your thoughts and memories here; additionally,
gifts can be sent as a memorial to Beryl.
We all will miss Beryl tremendously… Our thoughts go out to her family in this difficult time.
New ACM-WE Ex Officio Member
Lynda Hardman, ACM-WE Ex-Officio and Chair of Informatics Europe's Women in Informatics Research and Education Working Group (WIRE),
has been elected as the new President of Informatics Europe. ACM-WE would like to thank Lynda for her support and to welcome new WIRE Chair Jane Hillston as the new Ex-Officio member of ACM-WE, replacing Lynda.
ACM to Celebrate Bicentennials of Ada Lovelace and George Boole
Download ACM-W Europe logos here