ACM-Europe Policy News
EUACM established a one year partnership with Science|Business and is now part of their member network. Science|Business links more than 30 partners in a high level network “to facilitate deals, develop strategy, raise their public profiles, and help communicate the importance of innovation to Europe's future”.
As part of this partnership EUACM has already been invited to a number of events: Big Data in Healthcare and the Horizon2020 annual conference.
The result of this partnership will be evaluated by the end of 2016 in view of a possible extension.
The year ahead for the European Commission and European Parliament
The first month of the year is a good opportunity to revise the European Commission’s work programme for 2016. The European Commission adopted the programme for 2016, based on the ten priorities presented by President Jean Paul Juncker. See the briefing.
In his blogpost, Vice-president Andrus Ansip reviewed the Digital Single Market proposals presented during last year (the alignment of consumer digital contract rules and the portability of digital content) and introduced the topics to be addressed during 2016:
- a package of measures for industry, including on the 700 MHz band, cloud and an ICT standards plan,
- an e-commerce package, including a legislative proposal to tackle unjustified geo-blocking,
- proposals about reforming Europe's telecoms laws,
- cyber security,
- free flow of data,
Commissioner Oettinger hosted a roundtable with top executives, representatives of Member States, national initiatives and associations in order to discuss concrete ideas for a “Digitising European Industry” action plan. The action plan is based on four basic strands:
- Securing national and regional digital innovation infrastructures;
- Aiming for European leadership in digital industrial platforms;
- Promoting digital skills at all levels of education and training;
- Identifying smart regulatory solutions for smart industry (liability and safety of autonomous systems, ownership and use of industrial data, Internet of Things).
The action plan will be presented at the Hannover’s industrial fair.
The European Parliament, through its Committees on Internal Market and Consumer Protection and on Industry, Research and Energy, will discuss the European Commission’s strategic proposal “A Digital Single Market Strategy for Europe”. The plenary will take place during January.
Copyright & Open Access
The new Dutch Presidency aims to have more Open Access scientific journals for publicly funded researchers, as expressed by Minister Sander Dekker at the European Parliament.
Internet Governance, Cybersecurity & Data protection
Between the 25th and 29th of January, several events on Internet Governance took place in Brussels. An Open Science Policy Platform is expected to be launched next spring.
High Performance Computing
The Luxembourg government launched the “Important Project of Common European Interest” (IPCEI) on HPC, together with France, Italy and Spain. The partners will provide an HPC and Big Data Enabled Applications implementation roadmap to the European Council and European Commission in September 2016.
US government launched the “Computer Science for all” initiative, aiming to fund the expansion of K-12 Computer Science education. The forthcoming budget will include $4 billion in funding for states and $100 million directly for school districts.
CALLS & CONSULTATIONS
- DS-03-2016:Increasing digital security of health related data on a systemic level Open until February, 16th
- COMPET-1-2016:Technologies for European non-dependence and competitiveness Open until March, 3rd.
- EO-2-2016:Downstream services for public authorities Open until March, 3rd
- EINFRA-11-2016:Support to the next implementation phase of Pan-European High Performance Computing infrastructure and services (PRACE) Open until March, 30th
- EINFRA-22-2016:User-driven e-infrastructure innovation Open until March, 30th
- ICT-22-2016:Technologies for Learning and Skills Open until April, 12th
- ICT-35-2016:Enabling responsible ICT-related research and innovation Open until April, 12th
- CIP-01-2016-2017:Prevention, detection, response and mitigation of the combination of physical and cyber threats to the critical infrastructure of Europe. Opening date: March, 15th.
- DS-02-2016:Cyber Security for SMEs, local public administration and Individuals Opening date: March, 15th.
- DS-04-2016:Economics of Cybersecurity Opening date: March, 15th.
- DS-05-2016:EU Cooperation and International Dialogues in Cybersecurity and Privacy Research and Innovation Opening date: March, 15th.
- EINFRA-21-2017:Platform-driven e-infrastructure innovation Opening date: April, 14th
- ICT-04-2017:Smart Anything Everywhere Initiative Opening date: May, 10th
- CO-CREATION-01-2017:Education and skills: empowering Europe’s young innovators Opening date: October, 4th
- CO-CREATION-06-2017:Policy-development in the age of big data: data-driven policy-making, policy-modelling and policy-implementation Opening date: October, 4th
- ICT-12-2016:Net Innovation Initiative Opening date: October, 20th
- COMPET-1-2017:Technologies for European non-dependence and competitiveness Opening date: November, 8th.
- COMPET-7-2017:Technology transfer and business generators Opening date: November, 8th.
- EO-2-2017:EO Big Data Shift Opening date: November, 8th
- DS-06-2017:Cryptography Opening date: December, 8th
- EINFRA-12-2017:Data and Distributed Computing e-infrastructures for Open Science Opening date: December, 8th
- ICT-20-2017:Tools for smart digital content in the creative industries Opening date: December, 8th
- ICT-23-2017:Interfaces for accessibility Opening date: December, 8th
- Review of national wholesale roaming markets, fair use policy and the sustainability mechanism referred to in the Roaming Regulation 531/2012 as amended by Regulation 2015/2120 Open until February, 18th
- Public-private partnership on cybersecurity Open until March, 11th
REPORTS AND PUBLICATIONS
New reports about the European Digital Economy were recently published by major international think tanks and research institutions.
EVENTS where EUACM will participate
- Big Data in Healthcare, organized by Science|Business, Brussels, 26th January.
- eSkills workshop, organized by Capgemini for the European Commission, Brussels, February, 4th.
- Horizon2020 Annual Conference, organized by Science|Business, Brussels, February, 16th.