ACM-Europe Policy News
After the good contacts established with the Scientific Advice Mechanism (SAM) work has continued internally in EUACM to draft a white paper on Cybersecurity to be presented to an event in preparation by our partner Science|Business in Brussels. Discussions took place with our colleagues in USACM to develop a common vision for the white paper.
A list of ACM cybersecurity expert names has been provided to the European Commission. They will be considered to be invited to some events organized by SAM in the near future.
EUACM is actively following the evolution of the situation with much attention. It is yet too early to understand any impact on the international scientific collaboration. EUACM's partners, Science|Business, published a live blog that gathers the opinions of several members of the European scientific community.
EUROPEAN POLICY NEWS
Digital & Collaborative Economy
European Commission VP for the Digital Single Market, Andrus Ansip, and Director General of DG CONNECT, Roberto Viola, attended the OECD Ministerial Meeting in Canc�n, Mexico. The OECD Declaration on digital economy was signed by all representatives, following the meeting.
The communication A European agenda for the collaborative economy was released, aiming to provide guidance to consumers, businesses and public authorities to engage confidently in the collaborative economy.
The Joint Initiative on Standardisation was formally launched. The partners commit to modernising, prioritising, and speeding up the delivery of standards by the end of 2019.
Digital Skills and Jobs
Digital skills are presented as the core of the New skills agenda for Europe: working together for human capital, employability and competitiveness communication. The European Commission has set out steps to improve digital skills in Europe with the new Digital Skills and Jobs Coalition initiative. This initiative will be reinforced by the Blueprint for Sectoral Cooperation on Skills, aiming to tackle skills shortages in six sectors: automotive, defence, maritime technology, space, textiles and tourism.
The last edition of the European Maker Week included the first institutional maker faire at the European Parliament.
The European Commission released the report on The impact of ICT on job quality, where 12 nontraditional office jobs and their relationship with digital technologies are studied.
CALLS AND CONSULTATIONS
- Public consultation regarding the 5G Action Plan in Europe. Open until July 11
- Public consultation on the safety of apps and other non-embedded software not covered by sector-specific legislation. Open until September 15
- CIP-01-2016-2017: Prevention, detection, response and mitigation of the combination of physical and cyber threats to the critical infrastructure of Europe Open until August 25
- DS-02-2016: Cyber Security for SMEs, local public administration and Individuals Open until August 25
- DS-04-2016: Economics of Cybersecurity Open until August 25
- DS-05-2016: EU Cooperation and International Dialogues in Cybersecurity and Privacy Research and Innovation Open until August 25
- EINFRA-21-2017: Platform-driven e-infrastructure innovation Open until September 20
- ICT-04-2017: Smart Anything Everywhere Initiative Open until November 8
- CO-CREATION-01-2017: Education and skills: empowering Europe's young innovators Opening date: October 4
- CO-CREATION-06-2017: Policy-development in the age of big data: data-driven policy-making, policy-modelling and policy-implementation Opening date: October 4
- ICT-12-2016: Net Innovation Initiative Opening date: October 20
- COMPET-1-2017: Technologies for European non-dependence and competitiveness Opening date: November 8
- COMPET-7-2017: Technology transfer and business generators Opening date: November 8
- EO-2-2017: EO Big Data Shift Opening date: November 8
- DS-06-2017: Cryptography Opening date: December 8
- EINFRA-12-2017: Data and Distributed Computing e-infrastructures for Open Science Opening date: December 8
- ICT-20-2017: Tools for smart digital content in the creative industries Opening date: December 8
- ICT-23-2017: Interfaces for accessibility Opening date: December 8
- ISC 2016: High Performance Computing, Networking and Storage, Frankfurt, June 19 - 23
- European Data Forum: Scaling up the European Data Economy, Eindhoven, June 29 - 30
- Teratec: High Performance Simulation, Paris, June 28-29
- Rethinking Data Protection and Privacy in Europe, Brussels, July 6
The ACM Europe Policy Committee (EUACM) is a standing committee of ACM Europe focussed on being a part of multistakeholder and collaborative policy processes with the European Commission and member states' governmental bodies and informatics and computer science communities.
EUACM distributes monthly newsletters to keep our members informed of policy issues and developments in Europe, as well as past and future EUACM meetings and activities.