ACM-W Europe Newsletter
ACM Celebration of Women in Computing: womENcourage 2018 Belgrade, Serbia, September 2018
Join us in beautiful Belgrade, Serbia where the Sava and Danube rivers meet, for three days of technical discussions, making new friends and networking at ACM Celebration of Women in Computing: womENcourage 2018!
Sign up to join the volunteer team organizing the event.
Diversity workshop at EuroBSDcon
ACM-W Europe strives to increase diversity in technical communities and, as one of its activities, it offers to deliver diversity support workshops at technical events. The last such workshop was held on September 23, 2017 in Paris at the EuroBSDcon 2017. Read the blog about the event here.
Young Researchers -- Don’t forget to apply to the Heidelberg Laureate Forum: Apply Now.
Deadline - February 9th, 2018 http://application.heidelberg-laureate-forum.org
Learn about the HLF from blogs of two HLF 2017 attendees: Zaineb Chelly Dagdia and Deniz Kecik.
News around the world
23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ACM ITiCSE 2018) - Call for Papers
Larnaca, Cyprus, July 1-4, 2018
More details are available on the conference website at: http://iticse.acm.org/.
ACM Distinguished Speakers Program
The ACM Distinguished Speakers Program (DSP) is an outreach program of ACM that brings distinguished speakers from academia, industry, and government to give presentations to ACM chapters, members, and the greater IT community in a variety of venues and formats. Through the ACM DSP, ACM student chapters have direct access to top technology leaders and innovators from nearly every sector of the computing industry and academia.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Hugh Ffrench at email@example.com.
Google Sponsored Applied CS program
Looking for opportunities to code and practice your CS skills? Want to learn more about Android development? Google recently launched the Applied CS program , free online CS content that gives university students the opportunity to build Android games using important concepts from data structures, algorithms and other CS classes.
Google is looking for student leaders who are enthusiastic about CS education and want to help bring Applied CS to their community by facilitating the program. Facilitators help with workshop set up, logistics and support with troubleshooting in the classroom. They have created a training corner for facilitators to access training videos and resources to prepare them for running any workshop. You don't need to be an Android expert--just comfortable working with others through problems, using Google and StackOverflow to find solutions.
Interested? Complete the interest form here.
Local ACM-W Celebrations of Women in Computing
Here is the list of ACM-W Europe Women in Computing events for the coming months. See also the worldwide list.
- LYIT-CWIC - Ireland - February 8-10, 2018
- RusCWIC- Perm, Russia - March 1-3, 2018
- ACWIC - Ankara, Turkey - March 3, 2018 Website
- POLANDCWIC - Wroclaw, Poland - May 20-22, 2018 Website
- ACM-W UK Inspire - Cambridge, UK - March 2018 Website
- Ada’s Legacy - Baku, Azerbaijan - April 2018 Website
- ENTER- Belgrade, Serbia - April 2018 Website
- IPT - Madrid, Spain - Spring 2018
- WeEdR - Limassol, Spain - Spring 2018 Website
If you are planning a new celebration before 30 June 2018 contact Wendy Powley, ACM-W Celebrations Chair to inquire about potential funding. Only celebrations registered by 31 July 2017 are guaranteed funding by ACM-W.
All Celebrations are expected to join Celebrations Facebook page.
Contact Wendy Powley (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any inquiries about Celebration support and funding.
ACM Award and Advanced Grades of Membership Deadlines
Celebrating Accomplishments of ACM Women in Europe
Each year ACM recognizes outstanding achievements of its members through awards that cover a spectrum of professional and technological areas and different stages of professional development.
Following the mission of ACM-W to foster women participation in the field of computing, ACM-W Europe invites the community to welcome and recognize accomplishments of ACM Women in Europe who made significant contributions through their technical and professional excellence.
Advanced Grades of Membership Deadlines:
- ACM Fellow: September 7, 2018
- Distinguished Members: August 1, 2018
- Senior Members: March 3, 2018
Nominations are due January 15, 2018 for the following ACM awards:
- A.M. Turing Award: Major contributions of lasting importance in computing
- ACM Prize in Computing: - (previously known as the ACM-Infosys Foundation Award) early to mid-career fundamental innovative contribution in computing that, through its depth, impact and broad implications, exemplifies the greatest achievements in the discipline.
- Distinguished Service Award: service contributions to the computing community at large
- Grace Murray Hopper Award: outstanding young computer professional, based on a single recent major technical or service contribution
- Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award: theoretical accomplishments that have had significant impact on practice
- Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award: advancing new teaching methodologies, curriculum development in computing, or significant contributions to ACM’s educational mission
- Eugene L. Lawler Award for Humanitarian Contributions within Computer Science and Informatics: recognizes an individual or group who has made a significant contribution through the use of computing technology. The presentation of this award alternates with the ACM Policy Award
- ACM – AAAI Allen Newell Award: career contributions with breadth or that bridge computer science and other disciplines
- Outstanding Contribution to ACM Award: outstanding contributions to ACM, in both value and degree
- Software System Award: developing a software system that has had a lasting influence
- ACM Athena Lecturer Award: celebrates women researchers who have made fundamental contributions to Computer Science; please note: nominations for the Athena Lecturer Award are now open to all (prior to 2016 only SIG Leaders could submit nominations)
Please refer to the ACM Awards website at http://awards.acm.org/award_nominations.cfm for:
- Nomination process (“How to Nominate” and the online nomination form), members of the 2017 Award Committees
- Links to the listing of past award recipients and their citations
For SIG-specific Awards, please visit http://www.acm.org/special-interest-groups/sig-award.
Thank you for joining us in recognizing accomplishments of ACM Women in Europe and ensuring they are nominated for ACM Awards they deserve.
- ACM Celebration of Women in Computing 2018 will be in Belgrade, Serbia Sept 2018
- Diversity workshop at EuroBSDcon
- Young Researchers -- Don’t forget to apply to the Heidelberg Laureate Forum
- 23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ACM ITiCSE 2018) - Call for Papers
- ACM Distinguished Speakers Program (DSP)
- Google Sponsored Applied CS program
- ACM Celebrations of Women in Computing
- ACM Award and Advanced Grades of Membership Deadlines